Humphry Walwyn, a local boy, travelled to London in the 16th Century to seek his fortune. He became a member of the Worshipful Company of Grocers and, in accordance with his last will and testament, The Elms School was established in 1614 in his local parish of Colwall. The original school house was based on a large farmhouse, built in the 1550s on the edge of Colwall village in the lee of the Malvern Hills and it is on the same site to this very day. The surrounding countryside is both beautiful and inspiring; evidently so to the poet John Moore, who was a pupil, and the composer Sir Edward Elgar, who taught at the school. It is the countryside of the poets William Langland (Piers the Ploughman), John Masefield and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.